Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The Starlet Syndrome

As Natal Women grow up, appropriateness is driven by environment - peers and family.  There are certain hairstyles that each age and culture deem as 'normal'.  The progression to the next age, while fraught with perceived risk, is a natural progression.  What is proper is considered innate, instinctual.
 
But when you jump into this natural progression at mid-point, the chance of a mistake is great.  Trial and error and the well-meaning suggestions by those around you are all you can go on.
 
In the early days of film, we saw the rise of the Starlet.  Beautiful women with porcelain skin and flowing gorgeous hair.  They were a beauty frozen in time.
 
Sadly, many believed their lives were locked onto that magical moment in time and decided not to leave.
 
There is a perception that I try desperately to avoid (often it is one of my big-time fears) - the aged starlet.  A craggy face topped by a gorgeous flowing wig.  The incongruity of it is overwhelming to me.  Do I appear inappropriate?  Am I one of those that is trying to act half my age?
 
Would anyone tell me if it was the case?