Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Compensating

Last year for my birthday, my brother bought me some DVD's....

Chick Flicks.

Now, I enjoy a good chick flick - within reason. I do get tired of the Lifetime Movie of the
Week, though. You know the one - Mary Lou is distant from her family, her marriage on
the rocks, her children confused and lashing out at school. The only person she can count
on is the woman who has been her best friend from the age of four, Lela Marie, who
doesn't understand why the woman with a heart of gold....

The gist is (normally), Mary Lou is dying of the disease of the month. She suffers, bonds,
makes amends, and dies. Her memory is carried on by the women who knew her best.

I digress (a skill I am proud of?).

When I first transitioned, I think people expected me to show up to work in taffeta.
You know the stereotype - uber-girly. I'd be sipping tea with my pinky in the air or
something.

I didn't. I normally wear slacks to work and I wear jeans much of the rest of the time.
I wear skirts once in a while. I can still fix a toilet, rewire lighting, and I know what
most of the parts of my car are.

But then I ask myself, why don't I go in for the more femme side of things?

Fear. I don't want to be 'The Dude in a Dress'.

I'm getting over it.

Wheras before I transitioned I participated in activites that would be considered
over-compensation, I was now almost hiding from myself. Without drastic bad
taste, I don't think I can be perceived as a 'Dude in a Dress'.

You still won't see me in taffetta any time soon.