Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Lifestyle?

What, precisely, is a Transgender lifestyle?

I'm pretty sure I understand what they mean by Transgender, but what is a Lifestyle?

Time for dictionary.com….

lifestyle or life-style or life style n.
A way of life or style of living that reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group.


A way of life that reflects attitudes and values? Okay, that is fair. A compassionate lifestyle is how someone lives if they are compassionate. A Plumbers lifestyle is how someone lives if they were a plumber.


A woman's lifestyle is how someone lives if they are a woman?

That one seems a little strange. The category is too vague to really hold any meaning. People are diverse (I know, diverse is one of those EVIL words). What I mean is, people are too complex to categorize with such narrow categories.


If a lifestyle is the way of life that REFLECTS on attitudes or values then if the way of life is identical, then aren't they reflecting the same thing?


I suppose a lifestyle is defined by the things you do based on those attitudes and values.
Let me pick apart my regular day and see if it reflects in any resonating way.

  • I wake up.
  • ShowerCook and Eat Breakfast. (Empty the dishwasher if necessary).
  • Watch the morning news while I dress and get ready for work.
  • Check my email.
  • Commute to work.
  • Do my job.
  • Commute home.
  • Stop at grocery store for food for dinner.
  • Get in the door, kick off shoes and clean the kitchen a bit (The dishwasher was EMPTY people, why do you put your dishes in the SINK?)
  • Put on comfier clothes.
  • Fix dinner.
  • Go to school or the gym or watch some TV.
  • Cuddle with the cat.
  • Check email again.
  • Sleep.
  • Repeat.


THAT is the nefarious lifestyle that is the end of all humanity? Except maybe for minor variations, how is it different from millions of other women who HAVEN'T transitioned? Is this the grand LIFESTYLE that is corrupting children?


Am I recruiting your children? Good Lord, no. I do not wish this on anyone. Do I want children to treat transitioners with respect? Good Lord, YES!


I can't speak about everyone who lives under the large umbrella of Transgender. Personally, I just want to live my life in peace. Without my rights being changed on the whim of whomever is in charge at the moment. I don't want to be disregarded because of the medical 'quirk' that caused me to be like this and I don't want to be punished for it