Thursday, May 19, 2005

From the Diaphragm?

During my commute for the last two days, I have found myself singing.

I have a significant vocal range. Luckily when speaking, my voice defaults to the upper end. (No, I do not believe I sound like Mickey Mouse).

Back to the singing.

I am a trained musician. That means I went through an entire spectrum of musical training: History, Theory, Composition, Pedagogy, Conducting....and Voice.

Needless to say, I was not trained in the Alto range. At the time, my centerpoint was at the cusp of Tenor/Bass.

I was good. (not in 'The Angels Wept' good, but more of a 'Say, that's a pleasant voice' good)

I love singing. Like I said, I have a moderately female voice in the Alto range but I don't have much in the way of depth or projection.

I've been singing the stuff I learned in college. You know, baritone stuff.

It feels good. Also, it feels guilty.

I hate that. I shouldn't feel guilty for THAT. I can't do it in front of people, the disparity of visuals to sound is too great.

Sigh.

The other problem is that my regular voice gets scratchy and strained from doing it.

I really should stop. Shouldn't I?