Sunday, May 22, 2005

Hadn't tried this before

I hadn't done a meme before. But Alice sent me an assignment and I suppose I would get a lower grade if I didn't do it.

So here goes:

Total Volume Of Music On My Computer:
9.06 Gb. That is what is on my Hard Drive at the moment. A good chunk of those I ripped from Albums (LP's, Vinyl, Those Black Thingies that don't look like they would fit in a CD player). Quite a bit of my music was never released on CD so this was my only option.

It took FOREVER to do.

The Last CD I Bought:

Bowling for Soup: A Hangover You Don't Deserve. Yes, I bought it for one song: 1985 but quite a few of the other songs are definitely worth the purchase as well.

Song Playing Right Now:
Kelly Clarkson: Since U Been Gone. The funny thing is, I don't even WATCH American Idol. I just like some of her stuff.

5 songs I listen to a lot, or that mean a lot to me:
Warning, weird list coming up!
Allen Vizutti: Aries Eyes. Is a Rock/Jazz fusion ballad. Allen Vizutti is a trumpet player, an INCREDIBLE trumpet player. Back when I was in school, the trumpet players to emulate (style/skill wise) were Wynton Marsalis, Allen Vizutti and the obscure Timofei Dokshitzer (don't try to pronounce the name, you may giggle).
Bachelor Girl: Busses and Trains. This group never really made it big in the states. They are Australian. The gist of it is a girl exhorting her mother for not warning her about men.
"They're like chocolate cake - like cigarettes. I know they are bad for me but I just can't leave 'em alone."

The Andrews Sisters: Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree (With Anyone Else But Me). I love the music of the 40', I cannot explain why. I think it brings me back to my 'happy place'. But this song is special for a reason and (surprise, surprise) it relates to transition. Before I had my voice to a usable place, I could still do a decent version of Andrews Sisters songs. I used this song whenever I wanted to find the right notch for my voice. I don;t know why it worked, it just did.
Bobby McFerrin: I Feel Good. I know he didn't write it. But listening to it makes me smile. My friends and I were fans of his well before Don't Worry, Be Happy became a hit (and subsequently mocked).
Five For Fighting: Superman. (Hey, I know my list is mockable, we didn't even get INTO The Twangbabies). I don't know why, maybe it is just because it demonstrates that no matter where we are in life and who we are, we always have insecurities and something to fight through.

5 people to whom I'm passing the baton:
That will be hard, since I think only 3 people read this and one of them sent this.
Alexandra, Tamsin, Amy (not sure if she reads this or not), Gwen, Lisa.

And....begin.

Hey, if anyone is out there, leave a comment. Okay? I'd like to know who is reading this.