Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Post Op Depression - It could happen to you.

I've had a total of three surgeries in my life: FFS, GRS, and Labiaplasty.

Before each one people asked me if I was scared.

The answer was always the same, yes and no.

I did not doubt that the results were what I needed. I didn't fear regret.

I was reticent about the concept of surgery itself. It is a scary concept. You lay down and they pump you full of drugs. You fall into a state of unconsciousness. They CUT AND REMOLD major parts of your body. They sew you back up. You heal.

It's the cutting part that I was worried about. I think that is a healthy fear.

I slept soundly before each surgery.

I have heped friends after their surgeries and I became aware of post-op depression. I don't know what causes it exactly. It could be the anesthesia, it could be the emotional letdown. It could be the fear of 'was it enough'?

Some of my friends had the depression, some didn't. Some are more prone to it - they get it with EVERY SINGLE SURGERY THEY HAVE.

And I had it - once. It was after GRS (a couple years ago).

I am not sure I count the first depression after GRS. I think it was a major hormone thing. They mess with your hormones big time. First you are producting T and supressing it while adding estrogen. Then you go off of everything - T returns. Then they remove the source of T. Then you go back on estrogen.

Think of it as Puberty, Mature, Menopause, MAJOR Menopause, Sudden Puberty.

Everyone I know, hit a major emotional wall the third day after surgery. I'm sorry to say you just have to get through it. Family and friends supporting you really helps. Knowing what is coming REALLY helps.

About 2 weeks after GRS I hit another emotional wall. This was true post op depression. I knew what was happening and I couldn't do anything about it. Friends helped. I talked to Mom on the phone every day. I didn't feel like moving out of bed AT ALL.

I don't have much advice on how to deal with the depression. Here is my short list:

Know what is coming.
Warn your support system.
Know that it is not permanent.
Try to get outside. Sunshine helps.
Healing physically is the primary concern. Don't screw up the work you had done.
Talk to people who have been through it.
Make no rash decisions. Everything major can wait at least 3 days.