Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Selective Amnesia and the Gorillas in the Mist

"You understand them. Tell me what he is thinking!" My girlfriend asked me.

I am supposed to have the inner track on understanding men. At one point, I thought I did. Heck, I pretended to be one for so long I should understand them.

I really don't.

I liken my experience to Jane Goodall. I lived among the men. I can analyze their social structure. I can predict behavior to a certain extent. I studied them. But I don't think I can ever truly understand them.

Still, it helps me understand them more than some people. It is all relative.

Does that mean I can understand my own interactions with them? No, not really. I am too close to objectify my own relationships (and where, precisely, is the fun in that?).

Maybe someone needs to do a true study of the male creature.

I can just imagine the National Geographic special now.