Tuesday, July 12, 2005

What Script Do You Use?

Early in my transition, I heard many cautionary tales.

I heard about those who were banished from their families. People in good jobs who, at first hint of transition, were reduced to paupers. Violence. Public humiliation.

In general - not good things.

It is enough to make you reconsider transition at all. Why trade one agony for another?
I planned my path based on these tales of woe. Each cautionary tale taught me something.
  • I became more aware of my surroundings and made strategies for my personal safety.
  • I built up reserves so I could survive the loss of my job.
  • I approached my family, without challenge. I told them the situation and we let it settle.

But all of this made me overly cautious.

It is totally to my advantage to start a career somewhere else. I have a shot of starting over somewhere without the spectre of my transition. They may find out, sure but at least the starting point will be from the right place.

Cautionary Tale 1

She was about my age, in a job almost identical to mine. HR leaked the info about her transition well before she was prepared for full time. She started full time early. They found 'another reason' to fire her - kill her references (figuratively). She was left, not able to get a job. She lost everything and had to live off of her friends.

Cautionary Tale 2

Anecdotal. Violence against Transsexuals is pretty much condoned. Heard about 'Boys Don't Cry'.

Cautionary Tale 3

She warned no-one. One day she was 'Bob' the next day she showed up in a Britney Dress and wanted to be called 'Barbie'. HR/Union/Management talks followed. Locker room priveleges were not immediately granted (and still haven't been 2 years later). She has a voice reminiscent of John Cusack. (Note: The dress is not a good idea for the chemical plant floor)

The thing is - I want to get a new job. I am pretty afraid of the concept.

Let the cautionary tales prepare you but don't live your life by them.