Sunday, July 10, 2005

A fear I had

One of my biggest fears during transition was to get stuck part way.

The scenario that was on my mind went something like this:

Living part-time (no, that doesn't mean dead part of the time).
Changing my ID
Someone at work found out.
They find 'some other reason' to get rid of me.
I am trapped, with new ID, can't get a job, dwindling hormone reserves.
Homeless - rejected.

In short - not good.

I planned based on that eventuality.

I started working with my new name in a part time job. That way I could get references.
I gave ridiculously short notice of my transition at work.
I went full time only after I could afford FFS.
I did my best to be indispensible at work.
I had cash reserves to last a few months.

Planning, Planning, PLANNING.

Don't jump into the pool unless you know how deep it is.

Plan for the worst - hope for the best.