Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Nail it to the wall

Hey, I can PROJECT.

We did a scene in drama class this week and I applied something I figured out this week.

Okay, maybe it wasn't me that figured it out, but I had something to do with it. My roommate knows about my lack of vocal projection issue (how could she NOT?) and she came up with a suggestion.

(Don't you just HATE how I jump around in a story?)

I like to sing and I have a fairly decent voice. When I sing, I have volume and drive and a decent clarity without slipping into falsetto.

My roommate put these two issues together.

"Why don't you just talk like you sing?"

Well.....duh! It's not a direct application of singing technique but rather the control of air and some of finding the vocal notch to speak in.

It isn't great. My resonance still does bizarre stuff. The technique will take refinement. But I tried it in class last night and the teacher was pleased. There was no vocal strain.

I'll keep y'all appraised.