Wednesday, September 07, 2005

An Invite

Last night, someone invited me to church.

As it turns out, I was not outed to my Drama class the other night. Only my vague confirmation to my teacher truly betrayed me. The teacher, true to her word, is keeping quiet.

I am still the one with the 'unique voice', but I can live with that.

I sat next to a young lady in class. She is sweet and appears scared to death whenever she is in front of us. Still, she constantly volunteers every time someone is called for. I can really respect her for that.

Anyway, last night she asked if I went to church. I said 'not at the moment'. So she invited me.

Not just any church, mind you. A MEGACHURCH. One of those behemoth congregations that is practically its own country, with a separate economy, caste system, language and breakfast cereal for all I know (Try Communion Flakes! Body of our Savior in EVERY BITE! Now with MARSHMALLOWS!).

It was nice of her to ask, I know she has my salvation at heart. I know how these places work, I used to belong to one. They are most likely on a 'get the people in the door' promotion. Their charismatic preacher and his minions would set to work on me as soon as I came in the door.

Sound cynical? Sorry.

I am still a Christian - despite transition.

I just have a problem with those who have appointed themselves Christian Leaders.

I have a problem with those who actively campaign against MY RIGHTS and those of my friends.

I have a problem with those who have pre-judged me and found me wanting without even speaking to me.

I have a problem with those who say words of hate and say they are words of love.

I have a problem with those who apparently live by the Bumper Sticker of:

WWJK (Who Would Jesus Kill?)

I have a problem of those who would advocate assassination. If we are to be Christ-like and we think everyone should be Christ-like, when we send someone to MURDER someone, aren't we basically sending in Jesus with a machine gun?

(If only he would have had time, Jesus would have walked across the Mediterranean to Rome and smote Caesar dead?).

Anyway, back to the girl from class. I thanked her and declined.

I'm sure she will try again.