Friday, October 21, 2005

A new addiction

A couple weeks ago, I purchased my first iPod (not my 1st MP3 player, just my first actual Apple product). The reason for the purchase (other than it being really, really cool looking) was to support my new habit.

Podcasts.

I know, I could play the infernal things on my old MP3 player. But I found it really annoying that it wouldn't save the place I was at and I spent 10 minutes of my drive home holding the Fast Forward button just to get to the place where I left off. IPods will save my place.

Anyway, back to Podcasts. They really are neat. You pick and choose what you are interested in and download what is essentially a radio show and listen at your leisure.

I am SO addicted.

I can see a couple problems with the concept, though. One is the isolation of the information. The 'casts cover one subject and cover it pretty well but there is no DIVERSITY in the content. 'casts tend to isolate us in a world we already know. What about broadening horizons?

What about that little side note out of left field that inspires something in you? Sanitized specialized information tends to eliminate all that extraneous information. Every once in a while it is good to throw something new into the mix.

Another problem is real time information. News and traffic. Everything is delayed.

Yet another problem is interaction. Sure you can call in and leave questions or comments but with a radio program there is always that small chance that I will be riled or inspired enough to call in and talk with the hosts. With the delay of a 'cast, that real time information is virtually impossible.

Still, I am willing to take the downside because of the upside.

I am truly, madly, deeply hooked.