Monday, November 21, 2005

Day of Remembrance

I attended the Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance in 'The City' last night.
 
I was impressed.
 
I know, I know - the Queen of Assimilation attends a T event???? The Horror!
 
But if I don't go then who will?  If I don't think it is important enough to remember those whose lives have been erased then how can I expect others to do the same?
 
I could not, in good conscience, avoid it.
 
So I went.  I saw the best in most of the participants.  People were accepting, giving.  Their souls went into this cause.  It was a small group but there was nearly a solidarity among those their.  The fallen were remembered and mourned.
 
I briefly met Gwen Araujo's mother, Sylvia.  Good Lord, that woman is impressive.  She lost her child, who was deeply loved by her entire family.  She continues to fight for justice for an entire group and EACH AND EVERY TIME she participates, she is reminded of the brutal killing of her daughter.  Yet she continues to fight.
 
There were those who were there for their own benefit as well.  Some people can't stand to not be the center of attention for even a short time.  People who do wonderful things but cannot put their own egos aside for even a few minutes, always waiting for the unintentional insult to dramatically react to.
 
And, when called on it, they pull out their stellar argument "I've been a transsexual longer than you."
 
Yeah, that really brings a group together.