Friday, October 28, 2005

The Practice Job (Part 4)

My transition became pretty much an open secret at the store. Let's face it, they saw my whole transition from 'Aunt Martha' to some semblence of age appropriate style.

Still, it was not talked about in the open but I made the assumption that everyone had been told.

Every week, those who had the night off went bowling. The purpose of course, was not actual bowling, but instead an excuse to drink a little beer and be sociable.

That, and I suck at bowling.

We had a full spectrum of age ranges that participated, anywhere from 16 to 50-something. Age didn't matter all that much, we all got along and teased each other mercilessly.

One night, a few of were sitting at a table, waiting for our lane.

Jeffrey was (is) a lanky kid, in his early 20's. He is funny, goobery, and not always appropriate in his comments. He was one of those awkward kids in school. He was a lot of fun.

As part of our conversation Jeffrey started giving me a hard time (no, not about THAT). He was mocking me for being old, for actually going to the initial release of Star Wars (he is a HUGE Star Wars fanatic).

At one point I had enough. I needed to get him bad enough that he would lay off a bit.

I simply told him "I was just like you at your age."

Yeah, that pretty much did it.