Monday, March 14, 2005

The Fruit Cup Girl

A few weeks ago I read Queen Bees and Wannabees and I found it pretty interesting. Apparently I have been on a sociology kick lately and this one looked good.

There is so much information in the book about social structure between girls - social structure that I was somewhat aware of but only peripherally involved with.

Anyway, one concept in the book was 'the fruit cup girl'. This is a scenario where a young lady, fully competent and of requisite strength, takes her fruit cup to her boy-of-interest to use his big strong muscles to open it for itty-bitty her.

Sigh.

AARGH.

The really, really nutty part is that THIS WORKS. Stroking a guy's ego, letting him come to the rescue, making yourself to be frail and helpless really gets their attention.

The opposite is also true. If you aren't frail, handle things yourself, and don't allow yourself to be rescued then...well....they won't hate you for it but they won't exactly beat your door down either.

I'm not good at 'the fruit cup girl'. But I can see the danger of it. I find myself downplaying my abilities. I leave out some things I have done in my life. I try to not make myself a threat to their ego. I can't keep it up for long, usually something slips out. I need to learn the ability to shut up and be impressed.

At the same time, I'd like a guy who can handle me. ALL OF ME.

And have you TRIED opening one of those fruit cups? Got a blowtorch?