Saturday, June 04, 2005

Standard Answers (shifting with time)

I've been reminiscing on when I first started full time.

I was a bit more open. I made some mistakes (liberal use of the 'voice trick').

I had an email conversation with a girl I went to school with. Instead of waiting for her questions, I sent a list of standard answers. I thought it was funny at the time. I cringe a little at it now.

1. In about a year
2. We are still friends
3. All me, totally real.
3a. A REALLY tight sports bra.
4. LOTS of hair gel.
5. Guys, but this hasn't been tested....yet. (usually this is question 1)
6. It sounds something like (drops voice an octave or so) THIS.
7. Of course I would say something.
8. All my life. I tried and tried but couldn't do it anymore.
9. Women are in the service too. Why would I hide it?

I'm looking back at this list and I think I may have been TOO open and a little too glib. Also, I see exactly where I was in transition by the subject matter. I was concerned mainly with comparing new to old, what people knew to who I truly was.

Today, the answers would be different.

1. You want me to describe WHAT to you?
2. Haven't spoken in about two years.
3. (This is a good place for the 'What are you asking?' look)
4. No answer needed.
5. Men, absolutely.
6. It was much lower and no, I don't demonstrate anymore. This is my voice.
7. Of course I would say something.
8. All my life. I tried and tried but couldn't do it anymore.
9. Women are in the service too. However, guys cool off quite a bit when they know. So I don't volunteer the info.