Tuesday, July 05, 2005

And God Created the Genome....

"And after God created Adam, he looked upon his creations' 23rd chromosome
pair and stated - This is man for he is XY. And I decree that woman shall be
XX." - Fictional Verse

Where in the Bible are chromosomes actually mentioned? The whole XX/XY argument gets thrown around a lot by the Evangelical Movement. They like to throw that bit of science flavoring in their argument against Transsexuals. Of course these are the same people who have never SEEN the 23rd chromosome pair (neither have I). Yet, they tend to throw this fact around with abandon.

Intersex people do not exist - they don't fit into the plan.

People used to believe that a woman had nothing to do with the basic structure of the child. She just provided the place to plant the man's seed (of course blame for any birth defect was placed squarely on the mother).

In the creation story in Genesis (one of them anyway - there are two), Man was created from dirt. Man bops around the garden for a bit and gets lonely. So, God knocks him out (woo hoo! the first Anesthesia!) takes his rib and grows it into a woman.

So, if Adams' rib (XY) is grown into Eve, then shouldn't she have exactly the same genetic material? Unless Adam was some kid of chimera and had two different genetic structures. Of course this is explained by the fact that it is a miracle (convenient). But what is the point of these 'behind the scenes' miracles? It seems to me that something should have been said about it.

"God made you one way, you should not change it."

That is a pretty standard argument. Here is one scripture that is used:

Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I
consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations."

See, God made you in the womb. You should never change anything!

This opens a can of worms. Cleft palates, Birth Defects, any of that kind of thing. We obviously should do nothing about it! How about this? God made me this way in the womb. God knew he gave me something big to overcome but goodness can come out of it.

Deuterotomy 23:1
"He whose testicles are crushed or whose male member is cut off shall not
enter the assembly of the LORD."

Didn't crush 'em and most of the pieces are still there (rearranged). Check and Check. But doesn't that go against this?

Matthew 19:12
"For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs
who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made
themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to
receive this, let him receive it."


I am not saying that I am a eunuch (technically, I suppose I am). But it seems to me that Jesus is cool with things.

(I don't know why the Biblical tangent today - it just kind of happened)