Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Why I gave up on support

I gave up on official support groups a long time ago.

Why? They aren't really support groups at all. At least they aren't in the SF area. In this area, the bulk of groups are flambouyant crossdressers who chastized me for not having acrylic nails that reached an inch beyond my finger tip, people who chastized me for not wearing a dress in the cold of winter, who tried to get me to wear nine pounds of makeup to go to the grocery store.

In short, there were people concerned with the charicature of appearing female. They turned transition (very rarely any of them transitioned, they were mainly crossdressers) into some kind of pissing contest (I am WAAAY more woman than you).

These were people that I was afraid to tell what city I lived in. They may show up at my employers office in a fetish nurse outfit and demand (loudly) to see me. (Don't laugh, this happened to people).

Quite frankly, I was scared. I was terrified that I was seen as they were.

I can respect their unabashedness. More power to them.

I left their meetings nearly in tears many times.

You would think that this area would have support for Transsexuals. It doesn't.

Instead, I found that I have a group of friends. We have gravitated towards each other. Probably the only time we talk about transitioning any more is when we are together. But we only talk the subjects for a short time then we simply deal with our lives - friends.

It is not a closed group. Anyone can invite someone else in. Conversations may be tailored somewhat to accomodate the sensibilities of the newbie.

People come and go.

No subject is taboo but the more important aspect is the person behind the subject.

I think that truly defines a support group - support.