Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Practice Job (Part 1)

There are threshholds to transition. One for me was the beginning of 'part-time'.

'Part-Time' is a bit of a misnomer, I am my self all of the time. PT makes it sound like an after school job.

Funny thing, it kind of was.

My first real attempts at presenting as female were kind of sad. REALLY sad. My hair was short but growing out. I had a dark beard shadow and a heavy brow bone.

My initial attempts I refer to as my 'Aunt Martha' stage. I had a full wig, dermablend, and I wore costume glasses to attempt to hide my brow bone.

It was kinda sad really. I was a bit scared about how I was going to be seen for the rest of my life.

But, things progressed. My hair grew out enough where I could get by with a fall. I did 3-4 sessions of laser on my face. I combed my exposed hair forward into what could only be described as a 'wall of bangs'.

More or less, I passed.

I didn't tell anyone at work about my impending transition. I wanted to reduce the shock value.

I wanted to keep my job (mainly I wanted to keep money coming in).

Just for the experience of getting out in the world, I applied for jobs.

Namely, I applied for two jobs - in retail. Worst case they would mock me. Best case is that I get some experience dealing with people.

I was a little shocked when each place offered me a job. The jobs were a bit different, a womens clothing store and a book store.

I wanted experience dealing with both men and women so I took the job at the bookstore.

That created a whole new set of obstacles.

(to be continued)