Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Practice Job (Part 2)

So I took the bookstore job. I had only a few goals:

Deal with people.

Be Social.

Practice things like voice and learn how to dress appropriately.

Not Scare Children.

No mixing of people who knew me 'before' with people I just met.

I didn't really expect to make friends that easily. But after my 2nd day I found myself invited to Bowling, Movies, Parties etc. My social calendar was really full!

I dressed horrendously! I was a bizarre mix of soccer mom and 80's high schooler. I learned quickly.

My voice sucked. I had a bag of cough drops with me all the time.

The basic philosphy I still think was a good one. Do retail - you see people for 5 minutes at a time then THEY GO AWAY. If you screw up bad enough then QUIT.

Except for a complete lack of sleep, the experiment was a success.

(to be continued)