Friday, October 28, 2005

The Practice Job (part 3)

It was a little disconcerting, living at least two different lives.

Trying to quarantine them from each other was bizarrely simple but it took a little thought.

  • First, I got a cell phone. The cell was exclusively Anne's. The home phone was exclusively Andy's.
  • The bookstore was 40 miles away from my regular job.
  • No one expected me to have a second job.

Thus began a time of my life that was both euphoric and exhausting. I worked a full week at my main job and then up toe 30 hours at the store.

Like I said - exhausting.

I worked at letting go of the male facade.

Did I screw up? Sure. Customers were respectful, I can't think of a truly bad experience that I had there. At least nothing unbearable.

Sure there was the little girl who asked "Mommy, why is that lady's voice so funny?"

And the gentleman who, after I helped at the register, went to the cafe and told me friend how 'Nice the Lady-Gentleman' was a few minutes before.

And I loved the job. I remembered obscure books that I saw on a shelf the week before. I fought with the search engine for the in store inventory. I taught the management how to use a spreadsheet.

I had friends and I was beginning to have a life.

(to be continued)

is any of this interesting?