Monday, February 21, 2005

Changing Names...

When you were little, did your folks give you a childish nickname?

It could be something innocuous as the ever present 'y' on the end of your name (Danny, Robbie, Ricky, Petey).

Remember when you didn't want to be called that anymore? When it was just EMBARRASSING to be called that childish name still?

I am sure everyone just calmly told their parents to just stop it. Of course they complied right away. So did siblings, grandparents, neighbors. Right?

Not likely.

I know with me, I was shaking that booger off my finger for a long time. It took years.

When we transition, it is much the same, just worse. We don't only want to be called something else. We also want to change pronouns.

That ain't easy.

Ask for an honest effort. If that doesn't work, then explain to them that it starts to make them look senile. If they insist on explaining your entire medical history to people then you have a whole different issue (more on that later).