Monday, February 07, 2005

So you are going to do it? Fine.

This is nowhere near as comprehensive as what Andrea has on TSRoadmap. I have seen people do this well, I have seen them trip all over themselves. Here are my basic tips.


  1. Gather information. Talk to people who have taken this path before you.
  2. Determine your goal. Is it stealth? Do you care if anyone around you knows?
  3. What are your liabilities? Is it voice? Do you have a beard that grows like a chia pet shown in fast-motion?
  4. Consider your resources. To be blunt. Money.

Build a checklist. This is a series of goals that you will accomplish along your journey. Each step should be sequential. Go ahead and put a date on each goal but don't hold yourself to it. Some things happen faster than you expect and some slower.

Here are some of my goals (done in stages).

Goal - Part Time.

  1. Facial Hair. Do I have to wear clay on my face to cover it up?
  2. Scalp Hair. Do I need a wig? At what point do I stop using it?
  3. Voice. OMG voice is really, really difficult.

If I accomplish a level of success on these then I move on to next goal.

So, I bought every voice lesson media that I could. I took a lesson from a local voice coach. I decided that I could get away without a full wig but I needed a fall.

Laser worked really well for me. Facial hair was not a problem.

Goal - Full Time.

  1. Money. What happens if I lose my job? Will I be stuck in an in-between state? How much money do I need to be able to survive between jobs? (answer 4 months expenses).
  2. Voice. How do I get better?
  3. Socialization. Do I want to be a caricature? Have to get to know people outside of the transitioners at large.
  4. Job. How do I keep my job. Do I WANT to keep my job?
  5. Stealth. I don't want children scared of me. I don't want to be pointed at as a subject of derision. Can I do this facially? How is my body? Do I need help?

I did a few things. I saved money and made some more by getting a part time job where they only knew my new self. I wasn't stealth there but I got lots of socialization. Those people are my friends to this day. This in turn helped my voice.

I spoke with HR only. The idea of my transitioning is too big of news for anyone to keep quiet for long. I planned on a last minute spring it on them approach.

Stealth. I decided on FFS. That would enable those at work to accept me easier

Timing was everything. I had FFS planned so I told everyone about a week prior to the actual surgery. That way they could see I wasn't a drag queen and hopefully I wouldn't be too much of an embarrassment.

(On a side note, my voice really clicked about three weeks after Full-time)

I don't know if this is helping people (heck, I don't even know if people are reading this except those who post comments).

I can go on with this if people want otherwise it is back to your regularly scheduled program.