Thursday, February 24, 2005

and.....ACTION!

Last night was drama class...again. For once, the instructor had a few assignments due. So, of course, a good portion of the class didn't show. That left the rest of us with a little more personal attention.

I had two main events for the evening. First, we did a situational improv. This was not a 'who's line is it anyway' kind of thing - it was an exercise in motivation and trying to react honestly in a situation. We were the first ones on. I was essentially the blocker. I had something the other person wanted and I didn't want to give it up. My motivation was not quite clear. I think in a similar circumstance I would have given in. Anyway, I received a lot of compliments on the scene but I still felt awkward.

The other thing I did was my monologue. This was our first read through and 4 of us tried it. Anyway, I ran through mine and it turned out...okay (okay defined as rushed...angry...I think I sucked). So, the instructor gave me some direction and the class chimed in. I didn't feel bad about their input - I actually appreciated it.

So my monologue is supposed to be to another person. The other person is non-existent. The instructor had a guy from the class sit next to me on the couch and had me do portions of my monologue again. At first I was stilted, like I was reading it. Then it slowly got better. My drive changed, the anger dissipated and I was more a woman who loved a man who did something that could drive him away. And I really didn't want to drive him away.

What a difference.

I may get to like this acting stuff.