Thursday, February 03, 2005

The Oracle Says.....

"Should I transition?"

"What should I do? Should I go full time?"

"I don't know if I should transition or not."

My gut response to these questions is simple....

HOW THE HECK SHOULD I KNOW?????

What I end up saying is something else.

"No one can answer that but you."

"If you don't think you should, then don't."

"You don't have to necessarily make a decision to go full time. One day you wake up and you realize that you haven't been going back and forth at all."

"If you can live your life without transitioning, then do it."

No one likes these answers. I didn't like these answers when people gave them to me.

Sucks, doesn't it?

I think what people really want is a promise that everything will turn out all right. The want certainty. The want rock solid answers to questions that don't have them.

Life is fluid. Life is motion. Life is unpredictable. The best you can ever do is reduce the odds of failure and press on. What are you willing to risk? What is really AT risk?

Then there are the people in your life. Who are they? Can you predict their behavior? Can you predict ANYBODY'S behavior? Expect to be surprised.

Sempre Gumby (always flexible).

Plan for the worst - hope for the best.

Take your TIME.

Plan.

Adapt.

And remember always that your Transition is NOT your life. Transition is a situation to be dealt with. Life happens afterwards too.

Don't forget to live your life.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while - you might miss it." - Ferris Bueller