Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Risk Reduction Model

I take risks, I think everyone does. Even the process of waking up in the morning is a risk, isn't it?

I had a car accident once. I had just bought a new car and I was driving it home. For some reason we pulled into a Circle-K ("Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K."). A car was pulling out of a spot so I stopped the car and waited.

The car kept backing - right towards me. I honked. It continued to back up. I didn't have time to do anything else as his car destroyed my drivers side door.

The cop who arrived for the accident report said it was 50-50 (which also got him out of quite a bit of paperwork). His reason? If I hadn't been in the parking lot then I wouldn't have gotten hit.

Leave it to say, the insurance company got the money from the other driver and it all turned out okay.

Still -- back to risk.

I am careful with my heart.

Sure, I date. But I am careful. I think I have said before that I usually break things off before I get to the point of disclosure. Before I have a chance to get hurt, I remove myself from the situation.

Come to think of it, it is almost as luducrous as not leaving the house so the accident that may happen won't be considered %50 my fault.

What am I afraid of?

Legally, a transitioners position is precarious. If I got married and for some reason he wanted a divorce, he could pull out the 'T' card and 'poof' the marriage never happened.

A bad fight happens and he could throw out the 'You aren't a REAL woman.' line. His family may reject me. My life is teetering on the edge, constantly risking any challenge to my validity that the courts seem so eager to destroy.

Wow - talk about borrowing trouble! I am not even dating anyone that seriously!

I think I need to get out of the threat reduction business and just deal with living my life!

"I'm afraid your parents are fifty percent at fault for the accident as well. After all, if you hadn't been born...."