Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Surreptitious Book Recommendation - "Friday"

I read.

A lot.

My preference is towards Science Fiction, which I believe is for several reasons.

1. It was how I was brought up. My parents (yes, both of them) read
Science Fiction. I remember being forced to read Dune when I was about 9
("Just get through the first half. You'll appreciate it!"). My
Mother got me started on Marion Zimmer-Bradley and Anne McCaffrey early
on. My Father introduced me to Heinlein, Niven, Burroughs, and a host of
others.

They didn't care what we read as long as we were reading
something. Comic Books were a family activity.

2. Science Fiction and Fantasy were a way to fix things. They
presented hope that I could somehow have a body and mind that were matched up –
someday. You can get hooked on a feeling of hope. That is why I
still read the stuff today.

3. Escapism – pure and simple.

To this day, whenever I fly, I take along a few magazines and what I always refer to as my 'tacky science fiction' book. I may get looks because of it – I don't care. I am not reading to impress people. I am reading for myself.

All of which brings me to a point (you thought I gave up on those, didn't ya?)

There are books that represent the issues associated with transitioning without anyone transitioning in them. There is not much to do with gender in the story at all. But they portray the issues in a way that can get people to a point of understanding.

If you hand someone a book like Trans-Sister Radio, people attach an agenda to it. They go into it with bias. Their guard is up and they are not open to any change in their perspective.

Every once in a while, I am going to mention a book. It may be old; it may be new. It may even just be a magazine article. Hopefully, it will give people a way to explain the transitioners plight without engaging their shields.

Anyway, here is my first:

Surreptitious Book Recommendation


Friday – Robert A. Heinlein

Friday Jones is a beautiful, deadly, pragmatic, genius, deadly international courier. She works for a shadow organization for a man she knows only as 'Boss'.

She is also what is known as an Artificial Person. Her genome was artificially compiled. In her own words:

'My Mother was a test tube and my Father was a knife.'

She lives in a world filled with fear of her kind. She lives her life hiding her origin from a world that wants to relegate her to the status of a toaster. She is a non-person.

It is a story of betrayal, rejection, self-loathing, acceptance and realization.

A transitioner will see the parallels right away. For others it may help plant the seed of acceptance.

Anyway, check it out.