Saturday, June 11, 2005

Voice (Consistency)

No, not consistency like viscous, solid, watery. I mean consistent as in constant or repeatable.

I think the hardest time I had for my voice was when I was going back and forth every day. I would use one voice at work and another when I got home.

It doesn't help.

But the part that was the hardest was when someone was used to one voice from you and you start using another.

When I first came out at work, I found my voice slipping into a register closer to what they had always heard from me. When I spoke to my family, it was near impossible to let my voice go to where it felt more natural. It was like I was trying to keep everyone comfortable around me by not changing all that much but the only thing I succeeded in doing was making everything much more uncomfortable.

The last time I spoke to my ex was the first time I didn't change my voice on the phone during our conversation.

They need time to get used to you - granted. But at some point you have to cross that line (if you are going to at all). At some point decide and then rip off the bandaid and don't go back.

Repetition breeds familiarity.

Practice makes permanent.

(searching for another cliche for rhythmic balance of this post. Oh well, I suppose I will just pick one.)

Be the ball.