Monday, February 28, 2005

The Voice Trick

It's fun at parties!

It's all the rage!

Stun your friends!

It's.....the VOICE TRICK!!

A lovely woman is speaking to you. Suddenly, she gets a mischievous look in her eye and looks at you. Then, in a voice reminiscent of Isaac Hayes or even Bowser (Sha Na Na) she says.

"How you doin'?"

The room pays attention. People roll with laughter. Some looked stunned. She is the center of all attention.

Great, eh?

I'll admit it, early in my transition I did 'the voice trick'. I can think of a couple of theories why.


  1. It's funny. Getting people to laugh diffuses tension.
  2. It is a way to 'not worry about it'. Afraid of letting something slip? This is a great way to avoid the question of 'Do they suspect something?'. They won't - they now know.

Why don't I do it anymore?

Respect for my friends. If they haven't told their friends about you, you are putting them in an awkward position because they haven't told them first. Even if there is a question about you then you haven't confirmed it.

It makes the physical act of speaking more difficult. I don't know if it is atrophy or what but the longer you go without lapsing into the male voice - the harder it is to achieve. The biggest aid to my voice - full time.

I have friends that transitioned a little after me. True, I wasn't around for much of the awkward parts of the journey but, and I think this is important, I have NEVER heard her speak in a male voice. She assures me she can but she won't do it and I don't want her to. To me, it would just be wrong. I think it would put a huge dent in my image of her. She respects me enough not to pull the trick on me.

Now I am not saying that you have to have a great voice. It takes time (lots of time). I just think that after you have it - stay there. Even if people have heard you speak in the more masculine tones, don't let them hear them again. Consistency is the key to having them disregard/forget/suppress their knowledge of the prior you.

**If anyone is actually reading this, let me know. Okay?**